Should We Be Saying Yes To Enhanced C-Section Recovery?

With us being in such a fast paced world it should be no surprise that the time spent on a maternity unit can be just as short as the birth experience. I know a few bloggers who have had an enhanced recovery programme and it can work differently for each mama and should be taken on a case by case basis but I will be honest and say before I met with my consultant to set baby’s due date it terrified me that I would be allowed home just 24 hours after major abdominal surgery.

IMG_2980-0So Should We Be Saying Yes To Enhanced C-Section Recovery?

After my appointment I had a natter with Susanne (who has recently written this piece on Enhanced Recovery).  Her post shares her final birth experience and why the enhanced really didn’t work for them this time.

The NHS site says….
Enhanced recovery is a modern, evidence-based approach that helps people recover more quickly after having major surgery.

Many hospitals (although not all) have an enhanced recovery programme in place, and it’s now seen as standard practice following surgery.

Sometimes referred to as rapid or accelerated recovery, enhanced recovery aims to ensure that patients:

• are as healthy as possible before receiving treatment
  • receive the best possible care during their operation
  • receive the best possible care while recovering

Having an operation can be both physically and emotionally stressful. Enhanced recovery programmes try to get you back to full health as quickly as possible.

Research has shown the earlier a person gets out of bed and starts walking, eating and drinking after having an operation, the shorter their recovery time will be.

Now I know we can all agree that making a good recovery is essential to the body but for a new mum is rushing a recovery really something we should be advocating. It feels a little like a wrap mum and baby up and push them out of the door before they are ready. When I started the conversation with my consultant he quickly retorted ‘ Why would you do that to yourself’. Obviously he is not a fan either. Those first days of mum and baby are hard but even harder if you can’t move from a bed properly or need help. I can see why some mums would want to get home as soon as possible and if you do have the support and are recovering well then that is fantastic but I can’t help but feel that time in the hospital is meant for time.

Time to bond with your new baby without siblings around

Time to look after yourself and take it easy without all the household worries at your feet

Time to have the support you need from trained medical staff

Time to recover and make sure that your body is in sync with your mind

Going back home after admoninal surgery with a new baby is tough and the length of hospital stay can really aid recovery. I’m relieved that my consultant dismissed the idea straight away. Those 3 days I’ll be spending in the hospital post birth surgery are essential to my well being. I know this from the huge support I had with Fizz and Jedi Boy….that short time provided me with the sleep, support and successful recovery. So should we really be saying NO to enhanced recovery?

8 Comments

1. November 5, 2015 / 9:24 am

It totally depends on each individual case. With bella, I had such a positive pregnancy and birth that when it was suggested j could go home the next day I was delighted. And that was without enhanced recovery. I was ready, emotionally and physically. This time though I should have stayed, for both my emotional and physical wellbeing and also for Elsie. We almost ended up re-admitted and the whole thing was awful. I do agree with the principles behind enhanced recovery but like anything it can’t be a one size fits all. X x

2. Emma T
    November 5, 2015 / 9:32 am

I’ve never heard of it round here. For me, I’d have been fine – I was fit and healthy beforehand, as was N on arrival, and although my CS was unplanned, it was after 13 hours on a drip with not getting further than 3cm (from 1cm on arrival). So all very calm and unproblematic. I also had a husband who although went straight back to work was at least there if needed, and my mum came round each day to help if needed.

But feeding would have been a problem – even though we didn’t get it happening with midwives helping, being at home I might not have made the decision to bottle feed and therefore ensure N had the milk he needed. So there’s a whole mix of reasons why mums and babies should ensure everything’s ok’d before leaving hospital

3. November 5, 2015 / 9:56 am

With my first i had an emergency section and i needed up in hospital a week (it was 15 years ago)

With my second I had an elective section after complicated pregnancy and several medical issues and I was home less than 2 days after giving birth.

This time round part of me wants to be home with my kids and husband asap but also i know that with my little guy currently being much younger this time it will be harder to spend the time bonding with baby 3 as I dont want the jealousy aspect to kick in for my 4 year old.

hubs would love me to be in and out in a day … however I am liking the idea of me and baby bonding on our own .. eek that makes me sound bad

4. November 5, 2015 / 10:51 am

As with so many things I guess it depends on the individual. With my second I jumped at the chance of getting home within 24 hours as my experiences first time around had left me terrified of being on the ward. In the end there were some complications and I stayed 2 nights instead of 1 and it was fine but I find it almost impossible to sleep in that environment and was lucky enough to have great care from family and midwives waiting for me at home so I was happy to get out of hospital knowing I’d rest and recover better at there. It should be a choice though, I really hope women aren’t being put under pressure to leave before they are ready.

5. November 5, 2015 / 1:09 pm

I think it is really important to raise these issues. A lot depends on facilities and support available at home. The first week with a new baby is so important, and the physical, emotional and practical changes and demands affecting women and families during that time are enormous. Some will want to go home as soon as possible. Others to have some time in a postnatal room or a small ward. Everyone needs to be advised about planning for, and managing, the first few days and weeks carefully, to ensure lots of care and support, especially after surgery.

6. Sugar&Rhubarb
    November 6, 2015 / 7:57 am

I find these sort of terms so tricky for an operation that is essentially so different for everyone. A friend of mine was out after 24hrs, with only paracetamol and driving within 2 weeks. I was still on oromorph after five days, in trememndous pain and pain free after 4 months. I worry that “enhanced recovery” will make people feel rushed to leave hospital and therefore cause themselves more harm both emotionally and physcially. Great post x

7. November 6, 2015 / 8:10 pm

After my last c section the midwife was quite no nonsense, after less than 24 hours whipped my catheter out & said to go to the toilet & left me. I had not yet stood up post surgery & we all know how the can be. So as you can guess I came over all funny and nearly passed out – also sorry if TMI but blood everywhere I was a state & upset. I was actually keen to get home asap. But I think after 24hours is just too soon – it’s big surgery.

8. November 19, 2015 / 6:32 pm

Being sent home in under 48 hours after my section is one of my biggest fears, after having two previous sections and remembering how I felt I don’t think I’ll be ready to head home #BlogBumpClub